in your basket.
Dawson Valley Free Range is a small cottage producer which was established to provide healthy food through the ethical farming of animals.
- Heritage breed pigs (predominantly black) which are resistant to disease naturally
- True humane-choice, free-range and pastured, non-intensively raised prigs
- healthy and well cared-for pigs
- very flavourful, quality and fresh
- no growth promotants, antibiotics, steroids, hormones, pesticides or chemicals goes into our product
- our pigs are organically raised
- our pork contains no nitrate or artificial preservatives and is cryovac packed fresh
- our paleo sausages contain no grains
- no artificial preservatives
- our bacon and ham is preserved only with salt and sugar
Dawson Valley pigs are true free range and pastured. The pigs are locked up at night and left to roam during the day in large paddocks. This free ranging produces VERY tasty pork. The pigs are rotated around the paddocks so that we can ensure that they have plenty of pasture to graze on.
The Heritage Breed pigs are robust and suitable for Queensland climate as they don’t suffer from the sun and heat as much as the white breeds. They are predominantly black pigs and do have black hairs, which are sometimes difficult to remove during the scalding process, so you may encounter some hairs on your pork.
The heritage breed pigs became out of favour when large intensive pig farming began. This was due to several reasons, but the main problem was the fact that they are slow to grow and tend towards fat. The biggest advantage of free range animals is that they have a higher Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio, than their confined cousins.
Free range grass fed pork is not only tastier, but a lot healthier. Our pigs are fed a grain ration, but we don’t use any chemicals in their management. This includes internal and external chemicals. If we need to treat a sick animal with any medication, this animal would be removed from our sale stock. Fortunately this is a very rare occurrence, as free range animals tend to be a lot healthier than their commercial counterpart. We mix the feed ourselves so that we can control the inputs. We aren’t ‘certified’ organic, but we organically raise our pigs! The grain is conventionally grown and sourced locally.
Our Pork will be fattier than you may be used to, because of the breed of the pigs. However, the pork you will get from us will have more flavour, moisture and nutrients than intensively raised pork. The intensive industry wants a consistent, homogenous product. The different breeds we have will produce pork that is a consistently tasty and healthy product.